Wednesday, January 18, 2017

An interview with Emanuel Xavier



SEIS
an interview series

(conducted by Luis Lopez-Maldonado)

5:
Emanuel Xavier

LLM: Luis Lopez-Maldonado
EX:   Emanuel Xavier

*

LLM:
“Rhetoric Of Empire” is a love letter to your father. So beautiful, sad, and tender. This poem is also about identity. Can you expand a bit on both of these themes and how they affect your voice as an artist? How much do they feed your poetic voice, and how have they shaped you as a poet?

EX:
Never having met my father has had a significant impact on my personal life as well as my creative writing. I suppose it made me rebellious by nature and perhaps rather autonomous. That doesn’t necessarily bode well as a poet when you’re expected to take part in literary circles and socialize. Anyone who has met me should be able to attest that I’m easy to get along with. I’ve never had a problem making friends and would like to think I’m funny and don’t take myself too seriously. But I’m aware I’m not as out there as I should be as far as the poetry scene. As far as identity, it’s complicated. No one will ever box me off as anything other than Latino but, breaking it down further, if you’re not 100% of one or the other it’s hard to fit in. There are Puerto Rican purists out there who will never fully consider me because of the Ecuadorian in me and vice versa. I only know the Ecuadorian side of my family and the poem was about somehow connecting to my father and our shared cultures. I’m reminded of his rejection of me every time I’m not invited to participate in specific events celebrating Puerto Rican poetry. You learn to embrace your heritage on your own terms.

LLM:
I was broken-hearted with “Becca.” I hate her! I had a Becca too. Can you shed light on how these characters of Becca can empower us Latinos and queers? These mean individuals bully colored and gay kids all the time in school; it still happens. What would you tell Becca right now, if she were in front of you?

EX:  
I suppose we all need a Becca in our lives to remind us of the ignorance that exists in the world. It’s great to be rich, beautiful and popular but you don’t have to be that way about it. If she were standing in front of me right now, honestly? Let's just say she’s just lucky she was in my life before I took to the streets and befriended all my drag queen and trans sisters and leave it at that.

LLM:
I too compare myself a bit to Jean-Michel Basquiat. And in your poem, “Jean-Michel Basquiat Exhibit, Brooklyn Museum, 2005,” you raise questions and draw-out possibilities; I love this poem! Because of the title, I am curious: Is this an ekphrastic poem? Or did this branch from ekphrastic writing? If so, are there any specific works from the museum exhibition that inspired you to write this poem?

EX:  
Totally not an ekphrastic poem though it was titled that way on purpose. It’s based on an actual encounter I had with Basquiat as an underage hustler just before he died. We didn’t actually meet but I was left with quite an impression. I am a huge fan of his artwork but had no idea who he was at the time. I love that his work is raw and rebellious. I only wish I had scored one of his original prints at the time.  

LLM:
In your poem titled, “Men Like My Father,” you repeat the phrase “men like my father” five times on the page; visually, I really enjoy what that does. Can you elaborate your thoughts on using repetition in poetry and the importance it creates in this poem? In other works? Repetition is powerful and it is alive in this beautifully tragic poem!

EX:  
I’ve often used repetition in poems to emphasize something important. In this poem, I’m driving home the point that I spent much of my life looking for paternal love in other men. The repetition is much like this ill-fated cycle. I’ve been rather masochistic in my search for my father. There’s a clear difference between using repetition to highlight a word or a sentence and just repeating something to fill up a page or your time in front of an audience. 

LLM:
“Penicillin” is not your average abuelita poem. I find myself most interested in abuelita poems, especially coming from Latino gay poets: I adore this poem, so raw yet sweet. With that said: What are your thoughts about the idea that the “abuelita” poem is long dead and overdone? Do you believe these kinds of poems are a staple for the Latino poet? And lastly, what advice do you have for the next generation of writers that will write abuelita poems?

EX:  
The first abuelita poem I published was back in 1997 with the original chapbook edition of Pier Queen which was officially published fifteen years later in 2012 by Rebel Satori Press. It was called “Abuela’s Advice” and I enjoyed reading it in front of audiences. I’ve referenced my Mamina, which is what I personally nicknamed my abuela, throughout the years in several of my poems but “Penicillin” could be considered the follow up poem to that. Both are really snarky and not your traditional abuelita poems at all. I absolutely adore my grandmother. She has always been supporting and loving and we have a very close relationship. I’m truly lucky to still have her in my life. I think most of us love our grandmothers and learn from them so there will always be a place for poems about them in literature. Perhaps some writers are not quite fond of these but they’re far from done. Why would a culturally specific type of poem that speaks to its readers and could be universal be considered long dead? What’s next? A Japanese haiku? Is it the subject matter? What about poems about birds? Trees? Whatever!
  

LLM:
You bring a current issue to light in your poem, “Anonymous.” Some lines that stood out to me: “Just don’t let them touch without permission… We can still escape.” Can you share with us your thoughts on themes like these, like abuse, rape, and suicide, among others, that make their way into our art? How can outlets like poetry change or draw awareness to certain issues happening in society? This poem had so many wonderful layers and it touched me very much.

EX:  
Your interpretation of this poem is awesome. Without revealing what inspired me to write it, I will say there is definitely much between the lines. Writing has been personally healing for me because I have been able to express things like anger, resentment, loneliness and pain to let go of these things and move on from them. It’s not the only solution to self-healing but it helps a lot to share something creatively and not be held prisoner by it. It’s all about owning your truth and, in this case, sharing it with your readers. If it helps others understand or challenges others to confront their own demons, then that’s a bonus. 
 
LLM:
Research is important if a writer seeks validity or believability. In a poem like, “Sometimes We’re Invisible,” over half of the poem reads like a list poem, stating facts and reporting events. Can you let us into your preparation for writing this important piece of writing in the collection? How did you narrow down your chosen casualties, and your world events, among others? Was some of this material, “found” material? It’s a great, cool poem.

EX:  
I researched the internet to find hate crimes toward the LGBTQ community and, once I knew the year of the incident, I tried to think of what else happened that year that made the headlines. I was already aware of most of these incidents and was surprised by how many other events I remembered reading or hearing about. The media inundates us with headlines and newsworthy items but many of these incidents were merely glossed over or didn’t quite register on people’s radar. I focused on the LGBTQ Latinx community because, as the poem title suggests, sometimes we’re invisible. I started it with Venus Xtravaganza because I was still hanging out at the West Side Highway piers when she was found murdered and that definitely had an impact on me. It simply ended where it ended but that poem could easily go on and on. My hope is that years down the road someone will pick up this book and be schooled with some LGBTQ Latinx history that isn’t taught in the classrooms. As a matter of fact, the Orlando massacre happened just about a month after the book was published and the poem took on a whole new significance. I’ve since read it at a tribute honoring the victims held at the Nuyorican Poets Café and ended it with a reading of the names of each of the victims.

LLM:
Árbol” is a classic example of how to write something without really writing it: the tree was a wonderful metaphor to focus on. I’m curious: Can you expand on, “They took one of your roots and left you scarred for life…?” What root? Who is “they?” It is such an important, almost crucial line in this poem; from beginning to end, this was inspiring to read.

EX:  
You want me to reveal what this poem is really about? The tree is a metaphor for myself. They refers to all the critics who have voiced, openly and behind my back, their negative opinions. I’m not ignorant to the fact that because I was once a hustler that made a name for himself as a spoken word artist there will always be those who refuse to acknowledge me as a contemporary writer. You’re supposed to study your craft at colleges and universities and get published by whatever online poetry journals are trending at the time and get literary awards. You’re expected to be involved in literary circles and attend writer’s conferences. That’s all great but I’ve always traveled to the beat of my own drum and that annoys a lot of people. The roots of a tree are buried underground and mostly invisible. In this poem, they represent the subconscious layers of my soul, my spirit. Writers understand how much words can hurt. Sometimes, like a tree, I feel alone and taken for granted but I still think I have something to offer and keep growing in spite of it all.

LLM:
“Beside Myself” is another love letter, but this time, to Emanuel Xavier: advice, wisdom, and adoration. What would you say to the Emanuel in times when he needed someone the most? In the times when you recall he needed guidance and encouragement? Sometimes we are lonely and scared, with no way out, with no way of seeing light in darkness.

EX:  
I think the poem says it all. It’s tongue-in-cheek but worthwhile advice and I think there is hope. I learned to be independent at a very early age. I grew up fast. I didn’t have much choice. My mom was never the warm and fuzzy maternal type and I grew up reminded every day that my stepfather was not my actual father. I was sexualized as a child when an older cousin molested me and, by the time I was in my teens, I was turned away and put out on the streets for being gay. I’ve had a pretty fucked up life and most people would be dead by now. The only reason I survived all of that is because I learned the hard way how to be tough during my time out on the streets. I have my moments like anybody else but I allow myself the opportunity to go through it and then I move on and bounce back. I think this carries over to my career as a writer. Every time I need some sort of encouragement, I think about all the ways this journey could have ended. If anything, I’ve at least proven to myself that I’m a survivor. I may not have any valuable accolades or sold as many books as others but I have met many wonderful people along the way that have been inspired by my work for whatever reason. That means so much to me and that’s why I keep doing what I’m doing.

LLM:
Confessional poetry can be a hurdle to tackle for some people. What advice do you have for aspiring writers, maybe specifically Latino writers, on this subject? This form of poetry is seen more and more in the community, but sometimes those that need to write confessional poetry, don’t, because they do not know how or where to begin. Because “When Your Doctor Calls To Tell You That Your Brain Tumor Is Back” made me gasp and swallow and think about my own life; it was amazing.

EX:  
Yes. That was a very personal poem. I suppose you have to be ready to share your private world publicly if you’re going to write confessional poetry. You have to be prepared to be judged and criticized. I’ve been writing this type of poetry from the very beginning because I had nothing to lose. It’s actually something celebrated in spoken word poetry and slam poetry competitions which is where I started. As writers, we could create entire universes and focus on anything from a pen to the sun. But I think confessional poetry is a style of poetics that should also be considered by Latinx and other writers of color because it is important to reflect the world we live in from our eyes and keep our histories alive. In spite of our differences, readers might find something universal in our stories and be able to relate and maybe even be inspired. Also, if we don’t share our stories, who will? A white professor from the Midwest who has been privileged enough to experience some of our culture and thinks they can speak for us. 

LLM:
I hated you as I read “Radiance,” tears blurring words against page. Thank you. I thought, I could keep reading this! Which brings me to my last question: Do you think writing a memoir is in the near future for Emanuel Xavier? I vote yes. I feel your unique voice is very much needed and the survival lessons you can bring to the table are thrilling. Your story can change the lives of many of us out there.
   
EX:  
If I were to be offered a worthwhile publishing deal, I would totally be ready to share my story as a memoir. I genuinely hope to be considered for this someday. Sorry not sorry that this poetry collection brought tears to your eyes. Thanks for taking the time to read it. It’s been almost two decades and I hope to continue doing what I’m doing along the way.



*
EMANUEL XAVIER, an LGBT History Month Icon, is author of the poetry collections Radiance, Nefarious, Americano, Pier Queen, If Jesus Were Gay and the novel Christ Like. He also edited Mariposas: A Modern Anthology of Queer Latino Poetry and Bullets & Butterflies: Queer Spoken Word Poetry. He is recipient of the Marsha A. Gomez Cultural Heritage Award, a NYC Council Citation and a finalist for Lambda Literary Awards and International Latino Books Awards. One of the first openly gay Nuyorican poets, he has been a longtime gay rights activist, AIDS activist and homeless youth advocate. He was featured on Russell Simmons presents Def Poetry, has spoken at The United Nations, was a featured TEDx speaker and was filmed for a documentary on poets from around the world. He continues to perform at colleges and universities throughout the country and his books are often included in LGBTQ and Latino Studies courses. 

 LUIS LOPEZ-MALDONADO is a Xican@ poeta, choreographer, and educator, born and raised in Orange County, CA. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California Riverside, majoring in Creative Writing and Dance. His poetry has been seen in The American Poetry Review,CloudbankThe Packinghouse ReviewPublic Pool, and Spillway, among many others. He also earned a Master of Arts degree in Dance from Florida State University. He is currently a candidate for the Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing at the University of Notre Dame, where he is a poetry editorial assistant for the Notre Dame Review, and founder of the men's writing workshop in the St. Joseph County Juvenile Justice Center; He is co-founder and editor at The Brillantina Projectwww.luislopez-maldonado.com

No comments: