Thursday, December 29, 2016

An interview with Natalie Scenters-Zapico


SEIS
an interview series

(conducted by Luis Lopez-Maldonado)

4:
Natalie Scenters-Zapico

LLM: Luis Lopez-Maldonado
NSZ: Natalie Scenters-Zapico

LLM:
The collection of poems titled, The Verging Cities, deals with trauma, border issues, personal history, memory, and marriage, among other themes. It will grab you, drag you, and put you up against a chain-linked fence; it is mesmerizing. Thank you for your work. Which brings me to my first question: Those of us that read your book can have a pretty good idea of what its about, but can you please maybe tell us, what its not about?

NSZ:
The Verging Cities is a collection sprung out of a deep and complicated obsession with the sister cities of El Paso, Texas, USA and Cd. Juárez, Chihuahua, México. It is about two people who fall in love on a surveilled border that constantly denies their existence. Threaded throughout are poems based on my relationship with my husband, José Ángel and the ways the personal and political intersect. The Verging Cities is about all of the things that you mentioned above, but also about how we experience landscapes differently. How some have the privilege of seeing a desert and how others live in constant fear of how that same desert might consume them. It is about the body, the way we deny the violence our bodies commit against other bodies, how the body can become violent against itself, and how that same violence can become a part of a landscape’s body.

LLM:
Lets chat about the infamous Angel character in some of these poems. He is everywhere! As a reader, I fell in love with him by the end of the book. Could you please elaborate on how your personal relationship with him has assisted or acted as a catalyst in this collection of poems? Can you also tell us a bit about how you decided to focus so many poems on Angel and how his energy shapes the tone of the book?

NSZ:
While I was working on this collection I started writing letters to my husband, José Ángel. Later I found out that he kept all of these letters in a small box in his desk. One day, he let me go through the letters and I was interested in how when I was writing them I was thinking of a memory, even if brief, of José Ángel. None of the letters were written with him near me, so I decided to take this concept of the absent body of a loved one you are deeply familiar with and apply it to a series that runs throughout the collection. In these poems José Ángel becomes the character of Angel, one you’re never quite sure is a literal angel, or a man named Angel. This Angel character is certainly not completely my husband José Ángel, but he is a version of him. As I revised the collection the narrative between the speaker and Angel trying to navigate the verging cities became apparent, and important to the book’s structure. In The Verging Cities, Angel and the speaker are both trying to navigate their border space that is out to control and oppress their bodies, while falling in love in that same landscape.

LLM:
In A Half-Full Bathtub” (pg.16) you introduce the couplet-form for the third time in the collection of poems. I absolutely love how this form is working in this poem and how it moves flawlessly. Can you share with us, the importance of form in your work, specifically in how it serves this beautiful poem?

NSZ:
My poems go through many forms before they find the right one. In fact, it’s often the thing I’m left tinkering with the longest. I especially like the couplet form for The Verging Cities because it creates a back and forth tension similar to the tension between the two cities. Couplets can also be very romantic, because they exist like lovers on the page apart from the rest of the poem, and yet dependent on other couplets for meaning. In the poem “In A Half-Full Bathtub” I’m interested in the way the female body is policed and how that same body can create resistance. I think as a woman you walk always aware that your body can stand more pain than you’re aware of. And I don’t mean only in the physical labor a woman’s body can stand giving birth, but also for example, the recent ACLU verdict in which a woman was finally able to get monetary compensation for an invasive cavity search done by border patrol agents at a border checkpoint. How many women have gone through invasive cavity searches before her and have either been detained, deported, or let go to walk across the bridge humiliated? And while the power of these stories is important, I do think there’s something to be said for a poem springing out of an emotion and then turning that into a narrative, which is how “In A Half-Full Bathtub” started. While José Ángel and I were going through the immigration process we felt very observed, very scrutinized as people, and the threat that there was no limit to what they could investigate was always looming. “In A Half-Full Bathtub” poem sprung up from that anxiety.


LLM:
There is a lot of trauma with border agents, border patrol, with crossing the border, and being seen as “the other.” In “I Light The House On Fire And Lie Down” I see and read math, religion, sex, love, nature, identity, culture, race and discrimination: How did you manage to make this poem work, with the layers upon layers of themes threaded through the speakers mind? Its fascinating.

NSZ:
Oh, thank you. I don’t know if I have a prescriptive answer as to how I got this poem to “work.” I suppose it began with an exercise I would do and still do sometimes on Sunday mornings, when I can’t help but have the old nagging feeling I should be at Mass. It begins by lying down on my kitchen floor. At first I let myself stare at the ceiling for a bit, but then I let my eye move down and start viewing objects and the floor from this angle. I’ll be honest, doing this gives me a type of anxiety and I depend on that anxiety to give me the bravery to leap from image to image. This poem came out of that exercise in anxiety, which is probably why it’s able to encompass so much. When you suffer from anxiety your mind attempts to carry the world, and I think this can be useful to the poetic mind. Of course, the key is to make sure you don’t let the anxiety paralyze you, something that can be a dangerous game. I suppose I should also talk about why border patrol agents are such a source of trauma for me. Growing up in El Paso-Juárez border patrol agents are often seen as a hassle, but for people with loved ones who are undocumented they can be the wolf capable of devouring your entire family in a moment. El Paso, Texas for example has more border patrol agents than police in the city. They don’t just patrol the physical border, but the entire city, into New Mexico. They become a presence that is always lurking, always visible on a drive down the freeway or while eating at a restaurant, capable of unraveling any semblance of stability you might have built for yourself.

LLM:
“Its The Heat That Wakes Us” is a contemporary Romeo & Juliet! Beautifully written, thunderous, heart-felt, and longing for love. How do stories like this become poems? What is your process as a poet of writing poems that seem very personal to both the speaker and the poet?

NSZ:
Poems like “It’s the Heat That Wakes Us” become poems by being unafraid to enter places in your memory that hurt you. I’m asked often: How do you enter that place in a poem and then go about your day without it affecting your psychological well being? I don’t know that I have an answer to that because to me, like many writers and artists before me, I think it’s important to develop the capacity and mental ability to look and render that pain on the page. I don’t believe  you can live a genuine life, a brave life, without immense pain. The poem you mention above was inspired by the old tenement building José Ángel and I used to live in. It was located in the Sunset Heights district of El Paso near downtown, and the Santa Fe Bridge. The apartment had the most spectacular view of El Paso, the border highway, and all of Cd. Juárez. Of course, the view was spliced into hundreds of angles by electric wires, and the building had foundation problems so its uneven floors gave some people vertigo, and one summer our swamp cooler went out. We spent most of that summer in our underwear because it was too hot to survive any other way. What I remember most about that summer was thinking of how many people survive the heat in the Chihuahua desert without a cooler, and how unnatural these tenement buildings are to the heat. We would be much better off living in an adobe house because it’s much cooler, but most builders have stopped making adobe houses. I also remember how José Ángel and I used to ask each other if we were dead yet because there’s nothing like extreme heat to confuse your sweat for your soul rising. 

LLM:
In your poem titled, “Placement,” we read it as a kind of interview or investigation. Was this something you intended the audiences to interpret this way, or did you not think about how this specific poem would be understood? And my second question regarding this poem: You end the sections in section 7. Why? Is this a lucky number, or just a simple choice you made without really thinking about it? I am just curious!

NSZ:
When I started working on this collection, everyone had book suggestions for me. El Paso-Juárez is an interesting place too because many people from all over the country have been there and have an experience to share about the space. As I started engaging with these different books and works of art I grew exasperated by how many people were creating art to “bring awareness to the issues: femicide, the life of undocumented immigrants, the dangers in crossing the border, etc.” I find that border art that arises purely from a need to “bring awareness” is rather vapid and self-serving. Now, if you have personal experience with these issues in a sustained way, and write a poem that happens to be political, but didn’t begin in that space I hold much more respect for the work. I think, of course, writers like Gloria Anzaldúa, Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Alberto Ríos, writers who are trying to capture their lives, and in doing so, their lives become an intersection with the political.

As for the number 7, I play with this number because it is considered to be a Godly number and I wanted it to be a subtle reminder of the angelic forces at play in The Verging Cities, even when Angel as a character isn’t present.  

LLM:
Kids are taught lies in school, and the truth is hidden from us growing up in education systems. Your poem “A Place To Hide The Body” discusses this issue. Do you feel it is important to educate your readers through your poetry? Because this poem does it. Do you believe as an artist that poems like this are/can bring awareness and social change? What are your thoughts on writing “political” poetry, or poems that can be defined and seen as social commentaries?

NSZ:
I think I’ve always fallen in the Lorna Dee Cervantes camp here: This is not a political poem. In “A Place To Hide The Body” I experienced the denial of the border history that I was living in a high school classroom. The Southwest is full of contradictions like this, in which people love the aesthetic, consumer-based beauty of the Southwest, without realizing all the pain and blood of this region. As for bringing social change and awareness through poetry, I think we’re living in a great era for this. There are so many poets that are starting serious conversations that extend into the political through their work. I think of writers like Danez Smith, Solmaz Sharif, and Natalie Díaz. But again, part of the reason that I love these poets in particular is that none of their work stems purely from a “bring awareness” lens. It’s about being personal, about being unafraid to look in the mirror and put your fingers in the open wound.

LLM:
Repetition is a tool a lot of poets love using in their works, for it brings texture and musicality to the page. In “The Archeologist Came To Hunt Trilobites,” we clearly see the use of repetition. How is repetition working here for the poem? Do you expect readers to read each repeated word or phrase as same or different? What effects did you expect to communicate by presenting such repetition?

NSZ:
Repetition is a powerful and important tool in poetry. It is important to remember that repetition was used in poetry before poetry was composed on the page. Repetition is used as a way to help someone memorize a work, guide pacing, and change meaning. Repetition teaches us not to trust our understanding of things at first glance, but instead to read, re-read, and observe what is happening around the repetition. When I wrote “The Archeologist Came To Hunt Trilobites” I had just finished reading Eduardo C. Corral’s Slow Lightning and was mesmerized by how well he employs repetition. Corral is a master at making us look, look again, and understand new ways of seeing the same image. I realized that I was not very good at doing this in my own work, and that I relied too heavily on narrative propulsion in many poems, which for a collection can make a book feel rushed, so I decided to start playing with repetition and found that this was very useful to my ideas on gaze. Thus each time the reader is forced to encounter the phrase, “The archeologist came to hunt trilobites” I hope that they understand the archeologist’s horror at never finding them, at being confronted with bones he nor anyone around him wants to discover.

LLM:
A poem is seven parts/sections. Again! “Epithalamia” spreads across seven pages. What is the importance of the blank space in every poem/page? What about the space between pages/sections? I’m very curious about the choice behind having this poem spread across so much blank space/pages; I really enjoyed the pace of this poem, and how the white/blank space looked on the page.

NSZ:
Most of the poems in The Verging Cities are very dense and narrative in style. They are action-image packed. They hardly let you breathe. They make you feel pushed against a metal fence. They make you feel interrogated. But I like collections that have a variety of feelings, that don’t just linger in one spot. So I wrote  “Epithalamia” with so much space to be the lungs of The Verging Cities. To help the reader look, with space to breathe. I also knew that I needed traditional wedding poems, dedicated to a very untraditional wedding between a speaker and her undocumented lover, who might be of this world and might not, who might be living and might not. I’m glad you enjoyed the white/blank space, and hope that it serves as a place to reflect on the inner workings of the relationship depicted on the page.


LLM:
Turns are very important and sometimes necessary for a poem to reach its full potential! You killed it with a fabulous turn in your poem titled, “Girl Curled Over A Bar Stool.” A poem about sex, violence, and femininity: Can you elaborate on how this poem became a poem? This turn at the end of the poem, in the last sentence, really makes the poem explode! We are hit with life and trauma. It is stunning. For me, I wanted to keep reading, for it felt that you opened many doors with the turn, “…I wonder when shell notice the blood caught in the groves of that bill.”

NSZ:
That poem started out as a much longer two page piece, in which I compare the woman’s body to a freeway. But the piece was too self-serving. Anytime I have a piece that is longer than a page I’m skeptical. Not because I don’t think it can be done, but because I know myself and sometimes in early drafts I’ll fixate too long on certain images that are only interesting to me. One day, frustrated at my computer because I couldn’t get the poem to work with me I opened up a new document and challenged myself to write the poem as a sort of sonnet in fourteen lines, with a boxy shape, only using whatever I could remember from the earlier draft. Somehow “Girl Curled Over A Bar Stool” came to be. In it I kept the image of the girl, but instead framed it from the perspective of a man going to a brothel. The turn at the end came to me much later. I think because I always struggle with how to end a poem. I hate poems that begin strongly and end weakly, I don’t think they have bite. So this end was a way of leading into poems that would follow that are directly about femicide.

LLM:
“Angel And I Are Both Great Pretenders,” stood out to me and I loved it for the title of a book! Can you tell us a bit about how the title of this collection of poems came to be? How did you decide on the title, The Verging Cities?

NSZ:
When I was working on the collection I spent a lot of time thinking about how I conceived of the border, my cities, my marriage, and how these things were similar or related. I started referring to the cities as one place, “the verging cities” in many poems, and when I finally wrote the title poem “The Verging Cities” it became obvious to me that this was going to be central to the book. Because while the Angel poems are important, the verging cities are what define the love and give it shape. Without the landscape of the verging cities, there would be no imagistic landscape.

LLM:
The cover is hauntingly tender and perfect. How did you choose the cover for this book? Were there other options before the current one was made official? The girl on the bed/concrete stares at every reader that picks the book up. That is so cool!  

NSZ:
The Center For Literary Publishing at Colorado State University, was amazing in the process of picking a book cover. They asked me to send them a bunch of options for the cover and I sent a selection of works from the Chilean artist Pascuala Lira. I’m a huge fan of her work and while writing The Verging Cities, I used to have the image that is now the cover hanging above my desk. Because the book has so much to do with femicide and the female body, I loved this image because it centers the woman in an intimate sphere and forces you to read the image from left to right, much like how we read. In effect, she is staring at you but you must also read her body in order to interpret that stare. I could not be happier with the cover of this book.



*
NATALIE SCENTERS-ZAPICO is author of The Verging Cities (Center For Literary Publishing, 2015). She is the 2016-2017 Poet-In-Residence at Westminster College in Salt Lake City.

LUIS LOPEZ-MALDONADO is a Xican@ poeta, choreographer, and educator, born and raised in Orange County, CA. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California Riverside, majoring in Creative Writing and Dance. His poetry has been seen in The American Poetry Review,CloudbankThe Packinghouse ReviewPublic Pool, and Spillway, among many others. He also earned a Master of Arts degree in Dance from Florida State University. He is currently a candidate for the Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing at the University of Notre Dame, where he is a poetry editorial assistant for the Notre Dame Review, and founder of the men's writing workshop in the St. Joseph County Juvenile Justice Center; He is co-founder and editor at The Brillantina Projectwww.luislopez-maldonado.com

No comments: