Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A NPM Initiative: Poems Out Loud

Willie Perdomo

I got an e-mail today from Norton announcing the start of their month-long Poems Out Loud program for National Poetry Month. I forget how I found out about it, but remember taking an interest and suscribing because I heard that Robert Pinsky would be blogging about poems he enjoys reading aloud, with recordings of him reading and commenting.

I went to the POL website this morning and began browsing and listening to a few poems. I particularly enjoyed one read by Rita Dove, called "Ludwig van Beethoven's Return to Vienna." Check it out. The site also includes some YouTube video shot at the AWP bookfair in Chicago this year. Also curious is the fact that the poets are represented not by photographs of themselves but by what appear to be artist-rendered sketches.

The one small reservation I have about the site is that it seems to only feature poets published by Norton. So while it's striving to promote and share poetry, it's limited if it only puts out poems they publish. But, it's their dime so I guess they can do what they want.

Having said that, there is poem featured by Willie Perdomo, called "Poet in Harlem," with the author himself reading it.

If you'd like to read the poem, learn more about Perdomo, and then listen to him read it, click---HERE.

If you'd like to go straight to Willie Perdomo's voice click---HERE.

No comments: